Belcher Library in Stockbridge is going to have an outdoor book, bake and art sale on August 8 at the church just down the road from the library on Rte 107. Please bring a mask or if you don’t have one, one will be provided for you. Hours from 9 to 3. Rain date is August 15. Any questions please call Sara on her cell (603)594-8091
The regularly scheduled meeting has been moved from 7/8/2020 to 7/15/2020 at 10:00am.
We are putting this together in order to set a clear accounting of the events that led to the uncontrolled fire on Saturday, July 4, 2020:
- Michelle Jensen requested a burn permit from Fire Warden Dave Brown, 7/2/20.
- Fire danger conditions on that date were low. (https://fpr.vermont.gov/forest/wildland-fire/monitoring-fire-danger)
- Saturday morning, fire danger condition had elevated to moderate, though wind conditions were low.
- Dave Brown, concerned about conditions, did drive by Jensen property around noon on Saturday. Though weather was hot & dry, wind conditions were low.
- Around 2 in the afternoon, while tending the fire with a bulldozer, Chet Begin observed that the fire had escaped the fire zone, and was going up the hill behind the fire.
- An unknown person notified 911, and 4 town fire departments responded. This included Dave Brown in his other role as Chief-Stockbridge Fire Department.
- The fire was contained on the Begin/Jensen properties.
We want to send our sincere thanks to the firefighters from Stockbridge, Pittsfield, Barnard & Bethel for suspending their holiday activities to assist us with this response. The quick response from all these towns, on a holiday weekend, is a testament to how neighbors helping neighbors in difficult times is the sign of a strong community.
The road crew will begin working on Whitcomb Hill Road Monday 6/29/2020. The road will be closed between 6:00am – 4:00pm between the Lyon Hill intersection and the Austin property. Signage is going up today to notify drivers.
**Residents MUST stay in their vehicle. Attendants will come to the vehicle and remove containers from the trunk, back seat or bed of the truck. Containers will NOT be returned.** Please see flyer in the link below.
Stockbridge Central School is now registering students for
the 2020/2021 school year. Please click the link below to register your student
for our preschool program (for both 3 & 4 year olds) or kindergarten
program. If you are new to the area and have older students please
contact the school directly for more information @ 234-9248. We are
a small school with a big heart and our academic offerings are vast, with both
our Kindergarten and Preschool classrooms offering outdoor education and winter
wellness (with ski lessons). If you have any questions please do not
hesitate to contact Lindy Stetson @ firstname.lastname@example.org. If you
would like to register your child today please use the following link: SCS Preschool & Kindergarten
Thank you and we look forward to meeting you